Sunday, June 30, 2013

Finally Turned in the 'ol "V-Card"


So I haven’t posted in a while, but that is not due to a lack of important events. As most of you have heard by now, I finally have had the vasectomy reversal surgery. I would like to take this opportunity to share my experience to aid other men who may be on the fence about getting this relatively simple procedure.
First thing, I had to travel from Tucson, AZ all the way to Fort Lewis, WA. Not a bad trip, but I got in late and it took me some time to get to my hotel…thanks to my best friend Ryan who was visiting a friend in that area, and they invited me out for drinks before my surgery. Anyway, creepy little hotels with no TV aside, it was not a bad trip. Surprisingly, it was very relaxing.
So on Monday the 10th, I went in for my pre-op appointment. I hadn’t had to have a surgery in quite some time, ironically enough the last time I needed surgery was the last time I saw Ryan prior to this, so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Honestly, I felt like I was clearing post, getting ready to PCS to another duty station. I had a packet that I had to carry around with me while I stopped at half a dozen offices and hear a bunch of different people tell me the same things. All and all, this portion of the trip wasn’t too exciting, but I do have to let you all know that I felt that the staff at Madigan Army Hospital was phenomenally friendly, knowledgeable, and just plain awesome!

So on Tuesday, the time had finally come to me to turn in my “V-Card”. I would once again have the opportunity to reproduce….a scary thought, I know. But I did feel too nervous, and with a very relaxing staff, I was easily able to stay calm. Once I arrived at the hospital, I signed in and since I was the first case of the day, I got right to business. I got changed into the ass-less gown, and my yellow skid resistant booties (which I decided to keep). I laid down in my bed and had the all star cast from the day prior come over and talk to me one at a time. Finally the anesthesiologist came to set up my IV, and after what felt like five minutes I WAS OUT COLD!
After what felt like five minutes later I WOKE UP! And yes, I kind of felt like Sebastian Janikowski kicked my stuff a whopping 65 yards through the uprights. But even though I didn't feel super great, I did wake up to food in front of me, so that was a pleasant surprise. First thing I did before eating was call Traci, to let her know that I was awake, and doing ok. I’m guessing she could sense that I was still kind of out of it, because we didn’t talk long and she told me to take a nap. She’s too awesome. Now that I think about it, every time I woke up…there was a new plate of food in front of me. Since I went to WA alone, the docs wanted to keep me in the hospital for the night to let the medication run its course allowing me to be able to drive home. My post op nurse was awesome, and to her credit got me extra food when I asked. I got used to the aching south of the border rather quickly. After a while I really didn't feel much at all. That is, until I tried to pee. That was a little difficult the first day, but the discomfort quickly subsided. My time spent in the hospital consisted of eating, sleeping, going pee a lot, and watching TV. I can actually remember what I watched…I watched a gumball marathon on cartoon network and the NBA playoffs. Good times if you ask me.

After I got discharged from the hospital, I spent my last full day there just sleeping, and watching movies (thanks Bruce for your hard drive), and talking to Traci on the phone. That pain wasn’t really pain, more of an annoying discomfort from time to time. Nothing to really complain about. Actually, I didn’t and haven’t taken ANY pain meds since I left the hospital.
Then I flew back home, had Traci pick me up, and we feasted….on Chick-Fil-A….and it was amazing. Then we all went home, and all was good in the world. I truly feel as though the hardest step to get to is now behind us, and now we have to face the one that will test our patience as a couple, and that’s actually conceiving. Needless to say, I have recovered to the point when we can start trying, and I am feeling just fine.  I appear to be all healed up and now the next thing to do will be to have my follow up and get a semen analysis done, to make sure that the surgery did what it was set out to do.

Time moves on and it’s time to prepare for the next leg of our journey. I feel like I'll get there faster since I got that V-Card that was in my wallet not weighing me down.
Til Next Time,

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment