Wednesday, March 6, 2013

When is Enough, Enough?

A question that gets asked more than most is, “when is enough, enough?” This is also a question that gets asked regularly when discussing the number of children a family is planning to have. Well, as most of us know plans change.
As you probably already know, Traci and I have two wonderful sons. One who is six and the other three. When we first starting discussing the number of children we wanted to have, Traci had said that she would like to have an even number, that way the ages could be close enough together so that none of the children would feel like the odd kid out. Of course my stance was “I don’t care how many we have, I’ll be happy anyway.” Well fast forward to my return from my latest deployment. Eli was only a month old when I met him, and I couldn’t have been happier or more proud of Traci for making it through another birth without me there. It was only a matter of time before the question was to be asked. I can’t recall the exact day or even month, but after we moved to Georgia, we started to discuss the option of me getting a vasectomy. Now something that most people don’t know is that when Traci was getting ready to have Eli, she had asked me if I wanted her to get her tubes tied once she gave birth.  This was a question that I didn’t feel ready for at the time. I told her no, because the thought of not being able to have kids any more made me feel a bit uneasy. So she didn’t. so now we are in Georgia, and the decision was made that I would go through the vasectomy surgery, and Jayson and Elijah would be our only two children.
The surgery itself was no big deal. I got awesome medication, and my doctor was amazing. People say how much it sucks, but truthfully, it wasn’t all that bad. I was in and out in a matter of just a couple hours, and I healed rather quickly. So the deed had been done. We were not going to have any more children….or were we?
Now here we are in good old 2013. Traci and I have decided that our family does not feel quite finished, and that we ARE going to have more children. Of course the first question that gets asked is “uh…haven’t you been snipped?”  Why yes, yes I have. But through lots of communication and hours upon hours of research, we have found tons of information as it pertains to vasectomy reversals. Now you may ask “have you thought about adoption, or even other means to get pregnant?”  Why yes, yes we have. But when it’s all said and done my opinion on the matter is this. When we have a child, I want it to be created by Traci and myself. I don’t want to have to put her through countless treatment sessions for some of the other options and I don’t feel right doing this any other way. Adoption would be a possibility, but in the end, I want Traci to be pregnant and I want to experience everything I have missed out on with her. Some may feel this is me being selfish, but this is our decision and we are a united front. We are moving forward in this direction, and we will continue to chronicle the progress.
So when it comes to kids, and the size of your family, when you ask yourself “when is enough, enough” you’ll know in your heart that the answer is _____.
Til Next Time,

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment