Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Research & Comparison

At this point we have two options for getting pregnant. There is the Vasectomy Reversal or Sperm Retrieval and IVF or IUI. I've been doing some price comparison and some success rate comparison. 

It's difficult to compare because the success rate of a reversal doesn't include the success rate of actually getting pregnant, IVF/IUI does. So a success rate for a reversal is about 93% but the success rate for pregnancy is around 50% which is comparable to the success rate of IVF or IUI. 

The price for each is around the same but with the reversal it's $5,000-$10,000 for how ever many pregnancies we want to have. IVF or IUI is about $3,000-$9,000 per pregnancy. If we don't end up with multiples, we will probably go through it twice, which would double the cost. Most package costs I've seen for IVF or IUI is around $8,000-$9,000 but that's quotes based on infertility. 

We aren't even sure if I'm infertile or have any fertility issues. Right now, our only road block is a vasectomy reversal. It might not take as many tries at IVF/IUI as it would a woman with actual infertility issues. Would that lower the costs? Would I have to go through the testing that another patient with infertility would have to go through? Would not needing the tests lower the cost? If we could get pregnant at an IVF or IUI clinic for around $3,000-$4,000 then the price would be better than what we were quoted for a reversal. It's less money out of pocket at one time, which can make a huge difference in decision making. It's a lot of decisions to make. I think it's time that I saw a doctor about my options. I'm due for my yearly check up anyway so it comes at a perfect time. 

Has anyone dealt with these types of procedures before? IVF/IUI or Vasectomy Reversal, both not being covered by insurance and had to be paid out of pocket?  I know the only way to get accurate answers is through seeing the doctor but I'd like to have an idea of which path to take before hand just so we can do our research and know if we will follow through before wasting our time and/or money. 

This could be all for nothing. We PCS next spring and then we can switch providers, possibly opening up new locations for our referral.  We could get stationed at Fort Lewis, and be able to get on the wait list up there, but I don't want to waste this time when we could be waiting on a wait list. I'm frustrated by it all and want things to happen NOW but I know I don't have absolute control. I can only pray and try my hardest for things to work out the way I want. I'm not giving up. I still really want this. 

<3 Traci

No comments:

Post a Comment